Bury College Public Services students raised an incredible amount for the 2022 Poppy Appeal that is organised by the Royal British Legion.
“Thank you for your interest in Salon Management! Whatever the status of your application, I hope the following information will help inform you of your options, and maybe even help you decide that Bury College University Centre is the place for you. I am very excited to see how our future students grow over their time with us, and to see the skilled hair professionals they will become.”
Lynn Duerden - Assistant Curriculum Manager for Higher Education Provision and Programme Lead for Hair, Beauty and Media Make-up
Lynn began working at Bury College in 2005, with 16 years of experience in the hairdressing industry under her belt. This included working with apprentices and providing training and assessments to a number of large salons. Lynn has been co-ordinating the Higher Education programmes in Hair, Beauty and Media Make-up for eight years, and currently teaches on the Initial Teacher Education programmes and the BSc in Salon Management, where she is the Project Supervisor for the Dissertation Module. Lynn’s qualifications include Level 3 Hairdressing, Certificate in Education, FdA in Salon Management, BA Hons in Salon Management, Masters Degree in Education (Leadership and Management), and Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
Why choose to study at university?
For those still thinking about their options, our current students have provided some reasons why they chose to pursue a university education:
- Better earning potential
- Flexible learning to fit around you
- Greater opportunities to broaden your skills, knowledge to take into future employment
- Develop transferable skills you can use in your future career
- Meet new friends, new lecturers, and new people who are interested in the same industries you are
- There are both financial management and business skills embedded into the course, giving you the knowledge you need to move into managerial roles or start your own enterprise
- Gain transferable skills for use in employment in all industries
Modules and course information
The Salon Management FdSc and BSc Top-up have been specially designed to prepare students for careers in the hairdressing and beauty industry. The course will give you the ability to manage the business aspect of employment in a salon.
The course covers a broad range of topics, including:
- Advanced Epilation
- Colour Correction
- Fundamentals of Salon Operations
- Laser and Light Treatments for Skin Rejuvenation and Hair Removal Manage the Creation of a Hairstyle Collection
- Physiology of Ageing
- Professional and Academic Skills
- Technological Developments and Innovation
- The Hairdressing and Beauty Industry in Context
- Advanced Massage Technique
- Hair and Beauty Management and Career Development
- Hair and Scalp Specialists Services and Introduction to Trichology Leading and Managing Teams
- Managing Financial Resources in Salons
- Professional Practice: Work Related Practice
- Salon Management in Practice
How you will be assessed
You will be assessed in a variety of ways including essays, reports, presentations and practical observations.
Past students who have completed this course have gone on to a variety of roles within the hair and beauty industry, including running their own business, and managing a salon.
Get in contact
Our friendly staff are happy to answer any questions you may have about your course or the University Centre. We can also put you in contact with your course tutor for a chat. Please email email@example.com with any queries.