The Bury Volunteer Police Cadet Unit have found a home at Bury College and believes their recent award for Voluntary Police Cadet Unit of the Year has been helped by Bury College’s facilities and our staff.
These qualifications are aimed at helping you progress into employment in the Public Services sector, or progress onto higher education. You will study a wide variety of subjects, including those that are closely related to the uniformed public services such as Policing or Criminology.
Throughout the course you will develop an understanding of the practical and work related skills needed to prepare you for a career in a range of uniformed services - which include the Emergency Services, Armed Forces, Police Force, Fire Service and Armed Services . You will learn through a diverse range of practical activities and subjects that will prove useful in any chosen career path within the Public Services sector.
You will have the opportunity to:
- Participate in a variety of exciting adventure activities, such as rock climbing, hill walking, canoeing and kayaking
- Develop an appreciation for appropriate behaviour and dress within the Pubic Service sector
- Learn in a realistic training environment during visits to the local Fire Training Centre
- Receive real life advice and career guidance from a wide range of guest speakers from Greater Manchester Police, The Parachute Regiment, Prison Service, The Army and The Royal Navy
- Gain an understanding of the importance of selfdiscipline, identify different fitness training methods and incorporate them into a fitness programme
The topics studied on this course are:
- Develop leadership skills
- Prepare for a career in a chosen uniformed service
- Skills for land-based, water-based and outdoor adventurous activity
- Crime Scene Investigation
- Mental and physical wellbeing
- Emergency planning and response in the uniformed service
- Equality, diversity and inclusion
- Develop aspects of physical fitness for entry into the unformed service
Future career opportunities may include:
- Fire Service
- Armed Forces
- Civilian support to emergency services
- Local Authority
Positive Futures is a set of essential qualities, embedded throughout your study programme, that we seek to develop in all students:
You will also engage in the Positive Futures Careers Programme, developing key employability skills through a diverse range of activities including work placements, volunteering, employer talks, industry study visits and employment and university fairs.
As a Bury College student you will have access to a wide range of enrichment opportunities which will contribute to your personal growth and development and support your academic studies.
These may include:
- Art Club
- Chess Club
- Dance, Drama and Singing Workshops
- Duke of Edinburgh Award
- Gaming Hub
- Music Club
- Pride Club
- Student Ambassador Scheme
- A wide range of sport including Badminton, Cricket, Football, Fitness Training, Nerf, Netball, Volleyball and Table Tennis.
Please Note: We attempt to ensure that all information contained within this website is correct and up-to-date. However, some details may change as we review and update our provision. Although every effort is made to provide the teaching, examination, assessment and other services detailed on this website and in our other publications, Bury College cannot guarantee the provision of such programmes, services, facilities and fees. Bury College reserves the right to amend, withdraw, alter or amalgamate any of the courses, locations and facilities detailed within at any time. Should circumstances require such amendments, Bury College undertakes to use all reasonable steps to minimise the resultant disruption to those services and most importantly to students.