Bryn Lawrence is a first-year Level 3 Sports student that is currently on track to have a fantastic cycling career.
What is an apprenticeship?
An apprenticeship is a real job where you learn, gain experience and get paid. By the end of an apprenticeship, you will have the right skills and knowledge needed for your chosen career.
As an apprentice with Bury College you will:
- learn and train for a specific job
- get paid and receive holiday leave
- get hands-on experience in a real job
- Spend a minimum of 6 hours a week off-the-job to develop the skills, knowledge and behaviours relevant to your apprenticeship standard.
- complete assessments during and at the end of your apprenticeship
- be on a career path with lots of future potential
How much will I get paid?
Your wage will depend on your age and what year you are in. You will earn a minimum of £4.81 per hour if you’re either:
- Aged under 19
- In the first year of an apprenticeship
If you are an apprentice aged 21 and have completed the first year of your apprenticeship, you are entitled to a minimum hourly rate of £9.18
Head to the Government website for more information on this.
What level of apprenticeship can I start at?
That will depend on previous qualifications that you might have. To start at level 3, you will need at least a grade 4 GCSE in Maths and English.
At the end of your apprenticeship, you will achieve the equivalent education level. For example, if you complete a level 3 apprenticeship, you will gain the equivalent of an A level. Level 2 is the equivalent of a GCSE.
How will I be assessed?
You will complete assessments during and at the end of your apprenticeship. This could be done in the following ways.
- Professional/Guided Discussions
- Questions and Answers
- Reflective Accounts
- Work Product Evidence
- Witness Statements
How do I get an apprenticeship?
You can get apply for an apprenticeship by heading to the apprenticeship vacancy page on the Bury College website and applying for the relevant role. We will provide support to you throughout this process.