Our talented Art and Design students recently received recognition for their artwork after entering a nationwide arts and crafts competition.
“Thank you for your interest in the Health and Social Department! Whatever the status of your application, I hope the following information will help prepare you for future studies in Healthcare, maybe even help you decide that Bury College University Centre is the place for you. The Health and Social Care department has an extensive network of contacts and can support students in securing hands-on work experience in the sector. We look forward to working with you and preparing you for your career within the healthcare sector.”
Andrea Plimmer - Assistant Director of Health and Social Care
Andrea Plimmer has 25 years of experience teaching, and is a qualified Holistic practitioner. She has taught and delivered on related subjects from Level 3 to Foundation Degree programmes, and is an author for Level 2 to 3 learning resources and books for Habia, City & Guilds and Cengage learning.
Andrea sits on the steering group for the Northern Care Alliance on enrichment, training and placement opportunities for students following on from our successful cadet programme, which has been offered over the past few years. She also attends the local Health Partnership group with regular termly meetings to discuss placements and work opportunities within the local area for our Level 3 and higher education students.
Why choose university study?
For those still thinking about their options, our current students have provided some reasons why they chose to pursue a university education:
- Better earning potential
- Flexible study to fit around you and your commitments
- Greater opportunities to broaden your skills, knowledge to take into future employment
- Develop transferable skills you can use in your future career
- Meet new friends, new lecturers, and new people who are interested in the same industries you are
Modules and course information
This course has been designed to provide you with key understanding of core issues in Health and Social Care.
You will also have access to the brand-new Health and Digital Centre, due to open Autumn 2022. This will give you access to simulated hospital wards, IT facilities, and a mock domestic home to conduct your training.
Modules you may study include:
- Law, Policy and Ethical Practice in Health and Social Care
- Demonstrating Professional Principles and Values in Health and Social Care Practice
- Supporting the Individual Journey through Integrated Health and Social Care Fundamentals of Evidence-based Practice (Pearson-set Project)
- Effective Reporting and Record-keeping in Health and Social Care Services
- Supporting Individuals with Specific Needs
- Sociological and Psychological Perspectives on Health
How you will be assessed
Assignments are designed to allow you to achieve a Pass, Merit or Distinction grade for the unit through the stated assessment tasks or activities. The Merit and Distinction grade descriptors need to be viewed as a qualitative extension of the assessment criteria for a Pass within each individual unit.
The mandatory work experience built into the course gives you the ideal opportunity to specialise in an area you are interested in and build up career contacts before you finish your course.
Potential career routes you may pursue include:
- Social Work
- Youth and Community Work
- Childhood Studies
- Public Health
- Social Policy
Get in contact
Our friendly staff are happy to answer any questions you may have about your course or the University Centre. We can also put you in contact with your course tutor for a chat. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries.